21 Aug 2015
Factors that Make Fire Safety of Paramount Importance on Farms
Why is fire safety of such paramount importance on a farm? There are a number of factors that contribute to this and here we look at some of the more obvious ones:
- Your farm is not only your business, it’s also where your home is. So, a fire on the farm not only threatens your livelihood, it’s also a threat to the lives of your own family. Most businesses do not have this concern. Losing assets is one thing, losing members of your family is quite another.
- By their very nature, farms are usually large affairs with large areas of land. This means that, should you need to call the fire brigade out, it may take longer to reach you allowing the threat to escalate further than perhaps would be the case with a business or home located closer to the fire station.
- Equipment and Resources used on farms often carry a higher risk. Fuel is usually stored on site and, whilst diesel carries a lower risk it can still catch light. Grain dryers are a well-known potential source of fire. These are just two examples.
- Covering a large area, you can only be in one place at one time and it may be some time before an outbreak is spotted much less an attempt made to deal with it.
- If you are unfortunate enough to have a serious fire and you have livestock displaced by it, you may face the problem of where to house them whilst repairs are made. Similarly, if you have a fire at home, you may have nowhere convenient to move into whilst repairs are completed – and with the nature of the job, you will need to be on hand to run your business day & night.
Aberdeen Alarm Company are experienced at helping farms and farmers with their fire safety arrangements and we’re often able to ‘cast a fresh eye’ over your premises and spot things that you may, through familiarity, not have identified as a threat. We have a number of tools at our disposal to help you reduce risks and can provide practical help and advice in all areas. Why not arrange a visit today and lessen the threat to your livelihood and family all the sooner.